Carrot cake is widely popular and can be found in nearly every bakery, but it’s usually not the healthiest of choices when it comes to desserts, making it off-limits for anyone who follows a ketogenic diet.
Luckily, there’s one keto-friendly version that everyone can enjoy: carrot cake cupcakes, These mini cakes are baked in muffin tins so you can enjoy just one or two, making them an ideal snack while still being low in carbs and high in flavor and fat content.
Ingredients you need to make keto carrot cake
- THE FLOURS
I used pecan flour as the basis because carrot cake traditionally includes chopped pecans. It tastes fantastic and has a few fewer carbohydrates than almond flour. I also used coconut flour to aid the cake’s overall consistency.
- THE SWEETENERS
I used both a brown sugar substitute and granulated sweetener to stay faithful to traditional carrot cake. Swerve Brown is the closest substitute for real brown sugar, and it enhances the cake’s flavor.
- THE SPICES
Because carrot cake is essentially a spice cake, don’t scrimp on the spices. I used a lot of cinnamon and ground cloves in this recipe. Nutmeg and ginger are also good additions. However, please don’t use too much ginger because it will overshadow the other flavors.
- THE CARROTS
That said, carrots are not the best choice of vegetable when trying to adhere to a keto diet. Still, it is possible to put a few in your dish to improve the taste and texture. When making a traditional carrot cake, you typically need three cups of grated carrots. I found it just right at one and a half cups.
How to make the low carb carrot cake
A keto carrot cake is really not that different from the conventional version. Here are my best tips for making it.
- Prepare your pans correctly: Greasing and lining them with parchment paper are both required. Please do not skip this step.
- Grate the carrot finely using the tiniest holes on your box grater or the grating blade on your food processor. This ensures that the carrots are evenly distributed throughout the cake.
- Before proceeding, whisk the dry ingredients to break up any lumps in the flours.
- After mixing together the wet components, add the dry ingredients all at once and beat to blend.
Bake the cake layers: Make sure the batter is uniformly distributed in the pans. If you have access to a kitchen scale, that can be useful.
- Allow cooling completely: I usually emphasize this since keto cakes are quite fragile when they are still warm.
Tips for making keto carrot cake
Now that you have an idea of what keto carrot cake ingredients you’ll need, it’s time to learn how to prepare them. Here are a few tips for making a delicious recipe for keto carrot cake: It’s best to prepare carrots by peeling and grating them. This can be done using a grater or food processor.
1. preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a 9-inch cake pan with butter or coconut oil and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until well combined. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil, and vanilla extract until well combined. Pour egg mixture into dry ingredients and mix until just combined (do not overmix). Fold in grated carrots with a spatula or wooden spoon. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan and smooth out evenly with a spatula or wooden spoon. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Keto carrot cake can be stored in the fridge with any cut edges covered in plastic wrap. When I want it best served at room temperature, I recommend cutting a few slices at a time when it’s cold and letting them sit out for a few minutes. This cake will stay fresh for about a week in the fridge, or for up to two months if it’s tightly wrapped and placed in the freezer.
Whether you’re looking to boost your keto diet or are just trying to shake things up, carrot cake is a tasty option. Whether it’s topped with cream cheese frosting or not, a few slices of carrot cake can make for a delicious dessert at any time of day. If you want to try it out but aren’t sure how to keep these steps in mind. You’ll have yourself a new favorite snack and maybe even treat your friends and family.